Tuesday, May 14, 2013

"Help Me Help You" By Andrew Toy

 Authors.
       A different breed. Quieter than most in social settings, likely because they’re plotting more interesting stories in their heads.

        Always analyzing things.
       Angrier than most would get at a bad movie.
       Socially awkward at times because they presume certain characteristics of individuals they’ve just met, based solely off their looks.
       Talking or mumbling out loud when no one’s around.
       Fast pacers.
       A blank page, when seen by anyone else as ominous, is seen as a challenge to authors.
       I know this, because I am one. I’ll often sit up in bed in the middle of the night mulling over an idea I’m trying to run with. This scares Sarabeth sometimes.
       A topic about how we would survive an alien invasion is more interesting to me than who played at the Super Bowl.
 I know what it’s like to be an author.


“I want to write this, but I don’t know if I should.”

“Am I the only one that likes this idea?”

“Where is this story going?”

       If you’re an author, you’ve thought all of these thoughts and more. Being an author is daunting. I know for me, the question that haunted me the most was, “Will anybody like this book besides me?”

       Authors are (or should be) inventors of stories and ideas. Do you think the guys who invented the naked troll dolls or the Gia plants ever wondered if their ideas would catch on? I’m sure they did. Just like every author.
        When I finished my first book, The Man in the Box, I was almost skeptical to lend it to family members and loved ones to look over because I knew their opinions would be biased.
       And authors – serious authors – ought not to seek biased opinions. We need criticism, hard as it may be to swallow. Sometimes we need someone to read our partial manuscripts and stop us from continuing the mess. Or at least someone to tell us where the story took its drastic detour.

         We also need encouragement if we’re writing something promising. We need affirmation and direction. In short, we need a coach – an unbiased opinion of our story and a back-seat driver who tells us to slow down or speed up or turn right or abandon the trip altogether.
       I am adding a new service to my existing editing services. You can find the information here. In short, I will read your manuscript and coach you on how to make it better, tell you what’s missing, why it’s lagging, what can be improved upon, or be your cheerleader and suggest agents and publishers for you to contact. I’ll even help you form that query letter you keep getting rejections from – I know how daunting that can be.
       So check out the information here, and email me if you’re interested in me taking a look at your work. I look forward to hearing from you!

andrewtoy1208@aol.com


The Man in the Box
 Book Synopsis:

Work provided Robbie Lake the perfect escape from his family. But his life is turned upside down when he is unexpectedly fired. When he finds a new way of escape through a cardboard box, everything changes. The imaginary world of his childhood has evolved in his absence and is now more savage and hostile than even he could have dreamed. Robbie is drawn in by the excitement of his secret world, but will the cost of abandoning his family prove too high?


AMAZON


About The Author
Andrew Toy lives with his wife and dachshunds in Louisville,
KY. He is currently editing books of nearly every genre and is a writing coach  for aspiring authors. He and his wife are trying to adopt their first child,  and he is using the means of writing and editing to accomplish the goal of  enlarging his family. Check out some more of his writing and upcoming books on his popular blog: adoptingjames.wordpress.com


 Andrew Toy Links:
 
Twitter 

 Facebook 
Blog
  a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment