Thursday, December 13, 2012

Mom Cat Welcomes Georgia L.Jones




AMC:   Where did you grow up? Do you think your childhood impacts your writing?
GJ:   I grew up in Central Missouri.   We lived in several different towns but the common factor was that they were all fairly rural towns.  I certainly believe that my childhood has had a huge impact on my writing.  I found from very young age that it was easy to get lost in a book, soon after I wanted to conjure up my own stories.    We had 3 or 4 channels on the tv and we only had one, so it was either watch what Mom and Dad were watching, play a board game, or read.  As a teen I spent much of my free time, listening to music and writing.

AMC:   Do your siblings if you have any, find their way into your stories?
GJ:   I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters and they are always in my books in some fashion or another. 

AMC:   Growing up were you considered a “bookish person” ?
GJ:   I was probably considered a bit of a nerd among my peers.  I read a lot and loved anything creative. I joined band and became a saxophone player in 5th grade.  As I became a teen, I thought my path would lead me into journalism or that I would become a rockstar.  I did redeem my reputation as a cool kid somewhere around 15 and maintained that through my rebel years…when I get through them I will let you know how that went for me.  Seriously though, I have always been a “bookish person” in one way or another. 

AMC:   Are you married, single? Do you have children?
GJ:   I’m married with children.  My husband, Don, and I cumulatively have seven children.  When we got together he had four children and I had two.  We also helped to raise a nephew for quite a few years and we adopted a child at birth.  We only have one child, our adopted son, left at home and he is five.  Don and I will be celebrating our 20th in May of 2013.  

AMC:   Who do you read?  What genres do you enjoy? Can you list 5 that you think we would enjoy?
GJ:   I read almost anything.  I have a neurotic thing about finishing a book when I start it.  I’m not one of those people who can just stop in the middle, even if it’s not great.  I tend to find something in every book that I do like or enjoy to some degree.  The genres that I most enjoy are fantasy, Greek mythology, and some non-fiction like educational or historical. I also enjoy philosophy sometimes.  Since I have become published and have had the opportunity to connect with other authors from small presses, there has been a whole new world opened up to me.  My stacks of to read books that have grown to great heights, but here are a few that I have read fairly recently.

1.Blood of Elves starring The Witcher by Andrzej Sapkowski
2.Vine an Urban Legend by Michael Williams
3.The Shaman Within by Gary Wedlund
4.Trudy’s Story by Clarabelle Moses
5.The Sookie Stackhouse Novels by Charlaine Harris

AMC:   Ebook or paperback?  Why?
GJ:   I like paperback books.  I enjoy turning the pages as well as the feel of the actual paper. 

AMC:   How many books do you read a month? What are you reading now?
GJ:   I’m currently reading Crown Of Vengeance by Stephen Zimmer.  I like to read much more than I currently have time for.  My pace has slowed tremendously since I became published.  Prior to that I was reading somewhere around two books a month, sometimes more, but since, I have averaged one every month or two.

AMC:   What's your favorite way to relax and recharge? Hobbies?
GJ:   I enjoy many things.  I like to spend time with my family, cooking, and music as well as writing.  I play the guitar, not well, but I do play some.  I have been trying to learn bass guitar also. 

AMC:   Do you have a favorite quote?  Does it have a special meaning to you?
GJ:   I have several but the one that comes to mind is “Wisdom begins in wonder.” Socrates
Nearly twenty years ago I heard this for the first time and it stuck with me.  I use this in my day to day life. If I find myself questioning something I try to find the answer.  I’m a very curious person and always wonder, “What if,” so this fits me well.

AMC:   Where do you get your story ideas from?  Does your environment, mood play a part in what you write?
GJ:   Sometimes a small thing can spark an idea and it just grows in my mind.   Legends of Darkness actually was churning in my mind for about a year before I ever wrote a word of it.  I started with an idea of what if vampires were really from something different than the legends I have always heard.  How could it have been different?  Hense, Legends of Darkness was born.  While I was writing it I realized it was a series and began to keep notes for more books.  Before I was done with Legends, I had notes for five books and very rough outlines for each.  My writing just builds on itself until a story is done, then another one presents itself.  I already have an idea of the book I will write when I’m done with this series.  I don’t think my mood necessarily plays a part, but I do think environment plays a role in the respect that I have based some of the scenes in my books locally.  It is easy to write about a place you have been. 

AMC:   How long have you been writing?
GJ:   I have written since I was a child, but I really started trying to put stories together in the ninth grade.  I had an English class that required different short stories and I realized how much I really enjoyed it.  I also had a teacher that encouraged me to do so. 

AMC:   Do you have a writing “ritual”?  Where, music, etc.  If you use music can you share a few of the titles so we may check them out. 
GJ:   I don’t have a ritual per say.  I write anywhere.  I think I have a wonderful ability to block everything around me out.  Most of Legends was written while my child was watching cartoons in the same room.  While I do love music and many different kinds, I do not typically put in the earphones while I write.  I may have it playing in the back of my head.  I like classic rock, some new rock, classic country, and anything old R & B.  I like listening to records on my old record player also, there is something nostalgic and inspiring about it.

AMC:   Are you an out liner or a pantster?  Why?
GJ:   I write a rough outline to start with.  Then I let the story take over and just go where it goes.  I do tend to stick with a very basic outline for the entire story and so far, I have stuck with it for the whole series.  I am on book 3, Thorn, and it is going in the same direction that I saw it going while writing book 1, Legends.  I believe I prefer it this way because I like to be organized. 

AMC:   How do you do your research?  Ahead of time or do you “drop ship” it as needed.
GJ:   I would say drop ship.  For instance, while writing Legends, my heroine and her companion were making a trip from New York to rural Missouri.  When the time came in the manuscript I printed out my itinerary and saved it in my notes.

AMC:   Do you set daily or weekly writing goals? What are they word count? Chapters?
GJ:   It really depends on where I am at in the process.  When I’m writing the rough draft it is more of daily writing goal of scenes.  I try to write major scenes in a day or two.  I try to keep on some kind of schedule that coincides with my day to day life. I have a day job and have to work around that also.

AMC:   Do you get a chance to write every day? If so do you prefer to write during the day or at night?
GJ:   I write something every day.  I prefer to write in the morning and the middle of the night.  I always feel refreshed in the mornings and enjoy starting my day that way.  Sometimes I wake in the middle of the night with a thought for a scene and will get up and jot it down so I don’t forget it.

AMC:   What do you hope your Books bring to readers?
GJ:   Entertainment!  I would hope that everyone who reads my writing finds it entertaining.  I try to write in a very vivid style.  I feel like it’s an honor when someone takes the time to read what I have written and I only hope I can reward that effort with something that they like.  I want to take them to a place that lives and breathes for a moment even though it is impossible or at least highly unlikely to exist. 

AMC:   Where do you see yourself in your career in 5 years, 10?
GJ:   In 5 years I would like to be writing full time and working at my business on a part time basis.  In 10 years I would like to retire from my day job completely and just write and promote my works full time.
 
AMC:   Would you like to tell us what you're working on now?
GJ:   I’m currently working on the 3rd book in my series, Remnants of Life, with the working title of Thorn.  I’m also working on 2 different anthology projects. 

AMC:   What advice would you give to unpublished authors?
GJ:   Never give up on a dream. If your dream is to be a published author then keep on pursuing it.  I have had this dream since I was young and at 43 I saw my first novel published.  It was the first book that I had sought publishing for and I got very lucky with the process.  Go to conventions and meet everyone you can in the industry.  I have found that others authors are very kind and don’t mind talking to you and giving you advice. 

Fun Stuff
Favorite color? Today it’s red.  I love color and it may be different tomorrow depending on my mood.
Favorite food? Cheesecake!
Favorite time of year and why? Late Spring.  I like the flowers blooming and the weather getting warmer.  It’s is the most refreshing time of year for me.

3 things you want us to know but we did not cover above!
I love to think outside the box.
I want to learn everything I can every day.
I own a real haunted house, and it’s the setting for the end of Witches.

AMC:   Tell us about your latest release.
GJ:   Witches launched on December 1, 2012.  It is the second book in the Remnants of Life series. 
“This is simply magical.  No urban fantasy reader should miss the Remnants of Life series?”  Stephen Zimmer 

 EXCERPT FROM WITCHES:


The scream brought the warriors instantly.  As the knife entered his body like warm butter, the door opened with a heavy thud and I was caught in the middle, between the Quip and William.  I could feel the creature squirming underneath me and William’s weight on top me as his teeth tore through it.  Once again the scream felt as though it would make my ears bleed.  It was the highest pitch thing my ears had ever endured and I couldn’t cover my ears.  My arms were trapped in the struggle.
It was only moments before the creature under me began to turn squishy and form a pile of goo. I could feel it penetrating my clothing until it finally reached my skin. When it did I could feel a million spiders biting me all at once and it felt as though it were pulling me into it.  It was grabbing at me, trying its best to suck me into the everlasting darkness. 
William grabbed me up off the floor and even his cold hands didn’t relieve the stinging that had taken root in my backside from my shoulders down to my toes.  Every place on my body that had touched the goo was on fire. 
They each looked like they had rehearsed this scenario a thousand times by how they reacted.  Tarvoti took her spot on her knees the right side of the bed, closest to me.  Samoda sat on the left side of the bed within reach.  Drake stood by the door with his back to us watching for anything, and William went to the window to look out.
“Sca La Tre Du.  Secco Du Lat.  Secco Du Lat.  Woden, I summons you now to our aid.”
Tarvoti’s words seemed to summons something to the room. The wind was coming from within.  The burning on my back seemed to worsen.  It was spreading all over me.  I could feel its fingers creeping around and onto my ribcage.  I felt a small, very small degree of relief from the pain as I was lifted from the bed.  Until the tornado like thing that consumed the room pulled further at my already tender, blistered, and ripped skin.  Even the clothes I was wearing were melting with the acid of the demon that was clawing and biting the life out of me.  

AMC:   Where can readers find your books?  
These are the amazon links my 3 published works for Kindle or the Kindle app.  The print copies for all of them can be purchased from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or at any bookstore.

A fun fact that readers wouldn't know about you.
I’m the kind of person who buys marshmallow guns for Christmas and DON’T regret having to pick and scrape up 10 million marshmallows on December 26th.…I enjoy life to the fullest.

AMC:   How can readers learn more about you?

ABOUT THE BOOK:

Remnants of Life: Legends of Darkness by Georgia L. Jones
Genre: Urban Fantasy
181 pages
Dangerous Saviors… What would you do if your life rested in the hands of something that really wanted to eat you? Come journey through the realms of the next world where everything you know about Good and Evil are put to the test.
Samantha Garrett lives and dies a good life in the human world. She awakens a new creature, Samoda, a vampire-like warrior in the army of Nuem. She is forced to realize that she has become a part of a world that humans believe to be only “Legends of Darkness.” Samoda finds her new life is entwined with the age old story of greed, love, betrayal, and vengeance.
Join our heroine as she battles not just for her own existence, but for the entire human race’s future.  

OFFICIAL AUTHOR BIO:


Georgia L. Jones was born in Columbia, Missouri on September 21st, 1968. In 1992 she settled in the beautiful Ozarks town of Lebanon, Missouri, where she met and married the love of her life. Together they have raised 7 children and have the 8th still in their home.
At a young age Georgia learned the value of getting lost in a good book. She has always enjoyed reading and letting her imagination run wild. In her early teenage years she began to put her own stories down on paper as she plunked out the words on an old manual typewriter.
In 1996 Georgia enrolled at Missouri State University where she majored in Psychology. While there she found an untamable thirst for Philosophy and Greek Mythology. Many evenings she can still be found curled up with one of the great Greek Tragedy’s or reading about personal continuity by Rene Descarte.
Over the years Georgia has harbored the dream of being a published author and written many short stories. On January 10, 2010 she embarked on the dream as she began to bring the characters from her first novel, “Legends of Darkness”, to life. Upon completion in June 2010 she realized that it was not a single book but a series and created the concept of the series “Remnants of Life”. She is currently working diligently on the “Remnants of Life” series.

SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS









No comments:

Post a Comment