Wednesday, October 17, 2012

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TABLE: THE GOOD & THE BAD



This year’s Archon was a bit different for us. While we were there for the third year in a row as press (thanks again, Byron), it was the first year that we were on panels and sitting behind the table.


 Being on a panel gives one a whole other perspective on a convention. People expect things of you. You should be prepared. Of course, preparation means different things to different people.

  I was on three panels: one on editing, and two social media and promotion (which could have been combined). Charlie was on a panel on what Hollywood got wrong in the John Carter movie.

  The Good: Generally good content; Informative and positive feedback from the panelists.

 The Bad: Nerves; Self-conciousness; Fear that I wasn’t prepared. (I only found out that I was going to be a panelist three days before the convention.)
 
Overall: Enjoyable; I had fun and look forward to doing it again.

My first panel was on editing. It was at 10:00 am on Friday, one of the first panels of the convention. I am a beta reader for several authors, but I never thought of myself as an editor. However, as the panel progressed, several authors agreed that the beta reading is an important part of the editing process. I have found errors in several works that I’ve beta read that got by the “editors”, including a couple of paragraphs that were missing from a “final” draft that had to be reinserted. The other panelists made me feel welcomed, and that I had something to contribute.

Do you like going to panels? What are panels that would like to see at the next Archon?

 AM Copyright October, 2012; Moral rights asserted worldwide.

Co-written and edited by Charlie Kenmore

4 comments:

  1. I went to several panels on varies topics. I went to the one you were doing on marketing which was imformative. Sadly the gentleman there with you wasn't to helpful.(IMO) And I missed the Friday panel on editing because I got there late.
    But as an overall review, I was disappointed with most of the panels. It seemed the panelist were more interested promoting themselves, other than informing. The best one I went to was on Kryptos by Elonka Dunin and the worse one was Without Great Editing Your Story Could Die by Selina Rosen Boone Dryden and Walt Boyles, which I was so frustrated by that panel I wrote a 500 word short story immediately following my lost forever 55 minutes.

    James Kafka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found my portion helpful. What would you like to see on a panel next year?

      Delete
  2. Depending on the topic of the panel, useful tips is always welcomed, which you were one of the few that provided as much. Unlike the editor panel which basically told the guest, getting published was akin to going on the quest to find the golden fleece.
    Maybe even a flier with useful information to be handed out. And the only reason I suggest that is because some of the attendee's might not know the proper questions to ask. As for the type of panels,...It's hard to say without making it sound like people would be taking a class instead of being a fan who ask questions of the panelist. I don't know enough about the intended purpose of the panels. If it is to inform, my suggestions would be, basic insight on how to get published, hooks on what makes a good story, tips on how to self-publish, how to arrange for book signings, and how to find an agent, just to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good Ideas I will find out who to make the suggestions to and perhaps they will think on it. Some Panels are meant to just be fun like the "once Upon a Time" Panel or the "Dr Who" Companion panel. But if it is supposed to be informative then focusing on the subject not just self promotion is a good concept.

    Thank you again for your feedback. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete