Saturday, June 23, 2012

Welcome Fandom Fest Panelists!!!

  JOHN HARTNESS
 
ARM:      Where do you get the inspiration for your stories or characters?

     JH: I get inspiration from all over the place. The news, other books, things I see on the side of the road, comics, people I meet while drunk at cons, everywhere really.

ARM:      Do your characters talk to you?

     JH: I can’t get them to shut up! It’s distracting while driving, but they keep me company when I’m singing in the shower. They can’t harmonize for shit, though.

ARM:      What other authors would you suggest to fans of you work?

     JH: People frequently tell me that my work reminds them of Jim Butcher, Kevin Hearne and Christopher Lamb, all of which I consider high praise. I’ve been compared to Kevin Smith once or twice, and a few times to Joss Whedon. Fans of those guys tend to enjoy my stuff.

ARM:      What are some things that you would like your fans to know about you?

     JH: I prefer Patron Silver and Ciroc Vodka, and peach moonshine. My birthday is August 14th, and Amazon and iTunes gift cards never go out of style. In my other life I am also a poet and the publisher of the Red Dirt Review literary magazine.

ARM:      Do you have a current work in progress?

     JH: Many, many works in progress. I’m currently editing and revising a thriller about a teenage girl assassin, my first non-fantasy novella. I’ll release a new Bubba the Monster Hunter short story in ebook formats every month, along with a Bubba story collection ebook in May, and a Bubba print collection in June (available at Fandom Fest!). I am revising the first three books of The Black Knight Chronicles for the release of the omnibus edition by Bell Bridge Books in July, and Paint it Black, Book IV of the Black Knight Chronicles, will be available from Bell Bridge Books hopefully by Dragon Con, but certainly by NY Comic Con. And later this year I have a series of superhero short stories I’m working on, the inklings of a Bubba novella or novel, and Exodus, Book 2 of the Return to Eden series.

So yeah, I’ve got a few things going.

ARM:      What are you excited about doing or seeing at Fandom Fest?

     JH:  I want to buy a drink for Richard Kadrey and James Tuck, and check out their tattoos. I have a few, but nothing like those guys! I’m looking forward to getting Jim Hines to mimic more women’s fantasy book covers, and maybe the Avengers movie poster, and hanging out with all my friends that will be there.

I am especially excited about the session I’m doing with Jackie Gamber where she will pair teas with novels, then I’ll come along behind and pair the same novel with liquors. Something for everyone!

ARM:      Where can we find out more about you and your books?  
      JH: You can find me at www.johnhartness.com, on Facebook at facebook.com/johnghartness, and on Twitter at @johnhartness. You can also catch me at ConCarolinas, HeroesCon, Fandom Fest, LibertyCon, DragonCon, NY ComiCon, and Memphis Comic and Fantasy Con.

**************************************************
G. L. GILES
 
ARM:      Where do you get the inspiration for your stories or characters?
  
GLG:   As I’m mainly promoting my children’s picture books     these days, my inspiration comes from my own fur-kids and animals in general as you can probably tell from my titles:  THE CLEVER CAT THAT COULD and HURRICANE HOUND (by me writing as Gia

 
 ARM:      Do your characters talk to you?

GLG:   My human characters used to chatter in my head quite a bit, but with my children’s books,  they mostly “meow” and “bark.”

ARM:      What other authors would you suggest to fans of you work?

GLG:   Growing up, I was influenced by Dr. Seuss’ books probably the most.  Later, I liked Staci Layne Wilson’s animal-themed books a lot as well as Edward Gorey’s abecedarian book THE GASHLYCRUMB TINIES.  I’m just focusing on some of the influences on my children’s picture books to keep this e-view brief. 

ARM:      What are some things that you would like your fans to know about you?

GLG:   My love of animals extends beyond just dogs and cats.  I have been a vegetarian for over five years now, and I love the free “cat and dog therapy” I get as a volunteer at my local SPCA.

ARM:      Do you have a current work in progress?

GLG:   I do, and I’m starting to get really excited about this one!  It’s a YA zombie novel I’ve been working on for quite some time now.  I’ve been challenging myself to take my writing skills to the next level, and I believe that reviewing other authors’ wonderful works has really aided me in this process.  I’m taking my time with this book, and I’m currently looking for a beta reader with an interested publisher.  So, if anyone fitting this criterion is interested, then please contact me. J
ARM:      What are you excited about doing or seeing at Fandom Fest?

GLG:   Well, the fangirl in me can’t wait to meet all the wonderful literary talent and media talent who’ll be there!  Also, I’ll enjoy learning from those who’ve been successful in turning their writing dreams, etc. into reality.  Plus, I’ll finally be meeting online friends in person! J

ARM:      Where can we find out more about you and your books?  

GLG:   For some of my adult stories, some of my lyrics, etc. in a book co-written with my friend Lynn Anders, see UTOT (And I don’t mean the fictional Egyptian god of short stories, LOL.  Instead, it’s UNPUTDOWNABLE TALES OF TERROR) at  http://seakla.tripod.com/.  For more information on HURRICANE HOUND, please visit http://www.amazon.com/Hurricane-Hound-Gia-Lee/dp/1456097431.  To contact me via e-mail:  GiaLee3@hotmail.com.  Or friend me at Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/people/GL-Giles/588086451.  

****************************************** 
D. ALAN LEWIS 

ARM:       Where do you get the inspiration for your stories or characters?
AL:   Inspiration comes from anywhere and everywhere. In my first novel, the feisty detective, Max Sneed needed a special look and attitude. When I saw the actor Danny Devito on TV one night, I immediately pictured him in that role and BAAM! That character jumped to life and I could see and hear him roaming around the North Pole, arguing with Santa. Some characters may be loose versions of friends.

ARM:       Do your characters talk to you?
AL:   All the time! I can‘t tell you how many times I’ve changed something mid-stream because the characters will take on a life of their own and redirect the course of the story. I’ll plan on the character doing something, and the character will whisper in my ear, ‘Are you crazy, I’m not going into that dark room without a gun, flashlight, and a squad of Marines.’

ARM:       What other authors would you suggest to fans of your work?
AL:   First and foremost, I’ve been addicted to everything that Douglas Adams wrote since I was a teen. But I guess a few others would be: Scott Westerfeld, Alex Bledsoe, Robert Cowley, Raymond E. Feist, Robert A. Heinlein, Anne Rice (her early stuff).  But there are just too many to try and list.

ARM:       What are some things that you would like your fans to know about you?
AL:   I love hearing from folks, so give me a shout on Facebook (I tend to be on there, way too much.) I live in Nashville and run one of the critique groups for the NWMG. The organization works to promote and help new writers. If you’re in the Nashville area, you’re always welcome to join in the fun. (http://www.meetup.com/nashvillewriters/)

ARM:       Do you have a current work in progress?
AL:   I’ve got a few things in the works. First is a Steampunk action/adventure novel called, ‘The Lightning Bolts of Zeus’. If all goes according to schedule, the novel’s release should coincide with FandomFest.  Second is a dark comedic werewolf novella, Wild Pooch that’ll be released this fall. Another writer, Logan Masterson and I are starting up our own publishing house, Talon’s Mark Media. So that is yet another big project in the works for me.  

ARM:       What are you excited about doing or seeing at FandomFest?

AL:  I’m looking for to everything; all the guests, panels, and far too much stuff for me to buy.  I’ve been going to SF/fantasy conventions since the late 1970’s. But any chance to hang with other writer types and meeting new folks is what I’m looking forward to most.

ARM:       Where can we find more about you and your books?

AL:  My website is dalanlewis.com. I have links to find my books as well as my contact information.   I’m also on facebook (://www.facebook.com/AuthorD.AlanLewis) and twitter(@DAlanLewis).

No comments:

Post a Comment