Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Welcome Fandom Fest Panelist Sean Taylor


ARM:      Where do you get the inspiration for your stories or characters?

ST:  From anything and anywhere. A lot of times I get them from songs I'm listening to. For example, Prince's "The Beautiful Ones" spurred on a story I hope to get to some day soon.


Also, sometimes I sort of back into a story, such as the time I was wearing a t-shirt with the lobby card art for the movie Hot-Rod Girl on it, and someone asked me if Hot Rod Girl was my book, and I thought for a second, developed a core idea for a story, and said, "Yes, it is now."


ARM:       Do your characters talk to you?

ST:  All the time. I hear their voice in my head as I write them, and even when I'm not. And they argue with me often and make me change the story to suit them. They are all too clear about what they will do and won't day, regardless of how I've written out the plot document beforehand.


ARM:       What other authors would you suggest to fans of you work?

ST:  I'd certainly recommend folks like Frank Fradella, Tom Waltz, and Bobby Nash. I learned from reading folks like Ernest Heminway, Raymond Carver, Flannery O'Connor, and Kurt Vonnegut, so chances are, my fans probably would enjoy those masters of the craft. And for my comics work, since I've stolen so much of my technique from Chuck Dixon, I'm sure my fans will love his work too.


ARM:       What are some things that you would like your fans to know about you?
 

ST:  I once had to cancel a date because I fell down an elevator shaft and hurt my leg. And no, the girl I broke the date with didn't believe me for about a week until she saw me again. Other than that, I'm an open book. Whatever you see about me online and hear from my fans and readers is most likely all true. 


Most of all, know that I love to talk about books and writing, and if you start talking to me about that at a con, you'll most likely have to make me shut up long before I stop on my own.
 

ARM:      Do you have a current work in progress?

ST:  Make that "works" and I'll answer with a resounding yes. I'm working on a new Lance Star story and a Sinbad story for Airship 27 Productions, a new steampunk tale for Kerlak Publishing, a new pulp revival story with a sting all its own for Pulp Obscura on the prose side. One the comics side, I'm currently scripting Last Chance School for Girls for Arcana, A Stitch in Time for IDW, and a revival of the public domain hero Rip Regan: Powerman for Excelsior Web Comics.


ARM:      What are you excited about doing or seeing at Fandom Fest?

ST:  I'm exciting about doing panels. I love to talk about writing. I'm also excited about my first two-session workshop for FandomFest, which will be about writing comics that transcend the pow and zap cliche. And it'll be fun to hang out with that Zimmer fellow again too.


ARM:      Where can we find out more about you and your books?

ST:  I'm easy to find on the Internet. Go to just about any social media website and look up "seanhtaylor" (such as
www.facebook.com/seanhtaylor, or twitter.com/seanhtaylor -- you get the point). But the best places to look me up are my official website at www.taylorverse.com and my writing blog -- Bad Girls, Good Guys, and Two-Fisted Action -- at seanhtaylor.blogspot.com.

Thanks for coming Sean.  I can't wait to meet you at Fandom Fest June 29 - July 1! 

No comments:

Post a Comment