Saturday, April 21, 2012

PLEASE WELCOME FANDOM FEST PANELIST

 MARIAN ALLEN
 
ARM:     Where do you get the inspiration for your stories or characters?
MA:  Anywhere and everywhere. I belong to a writing group that meets monthly and assigns three random words or phrases we're challenged to use to write a 500-word story. One of the stories in TURTLE FEATHERS was inspired by a set of unicorn tapestries. Another was inspired by the way my hair looks in the morning. Characters usually grow out of the story, but sometimes they come from people I know or have seen and invent stories about.
 
ARM:       Do your characters talk to you?
MA:  OH, yes! Bud Blossom, a Chinese-American restaurateur, won't shut up! Actually, one of the most useful things I find is to interview my characters. I ask them ten questions I know the answers to, then ten questions I don't know the answers to. I try to let the first ten answers set up some things I want to be true about the character, then let the second set of questions spin out of that. It can be interesting!
ARM:      What other authors would you suggest to fans of you work?
MA:  Not that I'm comparing myself to him, but I admire Terry Pratchett very much; I suggest him to everybody! lol! When FORCE OF HABIT was first released, Tom Easton said that it "owes a good deal" to Robert Asprin and P. G. Wodehouse, so maybe if you like FORCE OF HABIT, you'll LOVE those much better writers! 
 ARM:     What are some things that you would like your fans to know about you?
MA: I'm on Goodreads, Twitter, Pinterest, Polyvore, and Facebook   https://www.facebook.com/MarianAllenAuthorLady .   I love getting comments on my blog. :) I'm a fan of diversity and non-violent problem solving. I never met a zombie I wanted to talk to a second time.
ARM:      Do you have a current work in progress?
MA:  I have MANY works in progress! I'd like to write some sequels to FORCE OF HABIT, I have a set of cozy mysteries in the works, I'm always writing short stories, I have a paranormal suspense in submission and a fantasy trilogy in rewrite for another publisher.
ARM:     What are you excited about doing or seeing at Fandom Fest?
MA:  BRUCE CAMPBELL. Oh, more? I'm excited about being on some Literary Track panels, meeting fellow authors, some of whom I haven't seen since last year, learning from panels and conversation, enjoying other people's tattoos, finding some new authors to read, and coming away energized and inspired.
ARM:      Where can we find out more about you and your books?
MA:  The best place to find the most information is on my blog, http://MarianAllen.com . See you there, I hope!
 
FORCE OF HABIT is a novel, a science fiction, cop, comedy of mistaken identity and mixed alien cultural misunderstandings.

 TURTLE FEATHERS is a collection of twelve animal stories, some of them fantasy, some of them romance, some of them science fiction, and one of them true.
 
Buy links and links to excerpts are in the sidebar of every page of my blog, including the Free Reads page: http://MarianAllen.com/free-reads 
 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the interview. I can't wait for FandomFest!

    MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice and informative. It almost allowed us into the mind of Marian Allen -- which is a vastly fun place to be. If you are so blessed, meet up with her at FandomFest. She has Mermayds! And candy!

    Ginny Fleming
    "Keys of Illusion"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to get a good readership for my blog! http://poetryprosepopcorn.blogspot.com/ Please read, comment, subscribe!

    ReplyDelete